Sunday, July 29, 2007

almost like violet crumble



Yesterday I tried to make a candy we love called Violet Crumble. A co-worker of mine brought some of these yummy candy bars back from her honeymoon in Australia. They are hard to find around here-- but we buy them whenever we make a trip to World Market. The homemade version is often called honeycomb or seafoam. I wish I could make it *exactly* like Violet Crumble. It is surprisingly easy to make and only requires a few ingredients.


Here's how I made 'em:

1 c sugar
4 tablespoons light corn syrup
a little squirt of honey
1 to 2 tablespoons baking soda

Melt the sugar and corn syrup (and honey-optional) on low heat with just a little water in a large saucepan. You will need the large pan because when you add the baking soda it really puffs up big. Stir the sugar while it's melting. After your sugar is melted (about 5 minutes) turn up the heat just a little (to 3 or 4 out of 10) and quit stirring as it comes to a boil. This is when I insert a candy thermometor. Bring the mixture to 300 degrees-- the candy will turn a light brown/dark straw color. This might take up to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the baking soda. I mixed the baking soda with water although the recipe I used didn't say to do that. I also added the honey, but out of two batches I made, I preferred the one with very little honey. I meant to add some vanilla with the baking soda but I forgot. Will try that next time.

Pour into buttered metal pie pan (or jelly roll pan, or whatever you want) and leave to cool and harden. Once hardened (20 minutes or so) break into pieces.

I coated these with melted chocolate. I used Baker's Bittersweet, 6 squares mixed with a little (tsp or so) shortening. There is probably a better way. I had to store these in the frige so the chocolate would firm up and stay that way.

They are crispy and sweet-- but light in texture. I'll make them again for sure!

1 comment:

Josh, Lisa, and William said...

three years later and I'm trying them again- finally!